Wednesday 24 February 2010

Justice?


I have been reading Job lately as part of my devotional readings and it has been eye opening. Some years ago I gave a short seminar on Job and I thought I had read and understood everything that I needed from this book. How humbling it is to go back to God's word and being challenged and rebuked! Today I was reading Job 24, another of Job's speeches and I was astonished with the things that he says: life is unfair. The "good one" suffers while the "evil one" prospers. It looks wrong and it is wrong. Specially in the context of Job where his friends where so simplistic in saying that the righteous receives good things from the Lord and the unrighteous receives bad things from God. But life is not as easy as that. I have met people that although they love the Lord and serve Him with all their heart have suffered deeply. They have lost a loved one, or have lost their health, or suffered from injustice. It makes me wonder where is God when things like that happen. And it is when my eyes turn to the cross that I understand where God is. He didn't come to make justice in this world (something that is very popular in Bolivia!), he came to suffer injustice, so through his undeserved suffering we could have a life free from judgement. God has never promised that I won't suffer from injustice, but he has promised that at the end of this life I will be with him and that he is sustaining me every step pf the way. So next time I feel that some people in Bolivia have been unfair for looking down on me or plainly rejecting me for being a chilean, I hope I will look at the cross and be reminded that my Lord suffered so much more for my sake.

No comments:

Post a Comment